Data Protection Compliance
On the 25th of January, 2019, the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) released the Nigeria Data Protection Regulation (NDPR) 2019.
The Regulation mandates all Data Controllers (i.e. Financial Institutions (FIs), Telecommunications Companies, etc) to among other obligations conduct a Data Protection Compliance Audit annually and submit report of the audit to NITDA not later than 15th of March of the preceding year.
Compliance with the NDPR 2019 is aimed at:
• Safeguarding the rights of Natural Persons (Individuals) (Data Elements) to data privacy (Data Protection and Privacy is now a fundamental human right) in Nigeria
• Fostering safe conduct of transactions involving the exchange of personal data by customers/clients of both public and private organizations in Nigeria (Consumer Protection is a major pillar of government legislation)
• Preventing the manipulation of personal data ( To stop the illegal use of personal data for political, marketing and sales purposes without the consent of the Data Elements)
• Ensuring that Nigerian businesses and government agencies remain competitive in international trade (Global Competitiveness)
• Ensuring the sustainability of businesses in Nigeria through safe and sound practices that will protect their reputation and increase customer confidence (Customer Confidence)
•Avoiding Penalty for Non-Compliance and Payment of Fines
Why You Should Engage DataPro For Your Data Protection Compliance Audit.
DataPro is a pioneer of Compliance Consulting, Training & Audit in Nigeria. It is one of the first companies in Nigeria to be licensed by the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA) as a Data Protection Compliance Organisation (DPCO) authorised to conduct Data Protection Compliance Audit, Training, Programs Development and relevant services in the country. Compliance is very critical to avoiding the Regulator’s (NITDA) penalties. It is thus with a view to guiding and assisting your organisation toward compliance with this domestic regulation and the global best practice on Data Protection/Privacy that our Data Protection Compliance services have been developed.
In accordance with the provisions of the NDPR (2019) and consistent with international best practices, the following implementation tasks are mandatory:
- Policy Formulation and Communication
- Awareness and Training Program
- Data Protection Compliance Audit
- Data Protection Policy Consultation
- Data Protection Impact Assessment Consultation
To get a quote of our Data protection compliance audit, speak to our representatives today!